How we pick our products
Food shopping can be a bit of a tedious task which is why many people these days do a bulk shop on a monthly basis reducing our time spent in the supermarket. The only issue here is that you need enough space to be able to store large quantities of food and left overs created along the way.
Most homes will have a fridge with a freezer compartment but often this is too small which is why people are opting to buy a separate upright freezer. They offer a large amount of storage space to keep frozen food or leftovers you don’t want to throw away.
- 1 First things first
- 2 The best Upright Freezers on the UK market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you need to know about upright freezers
- 3.1 What are upright freezers and how do they work?
- 3.2 Are upright or chest freezers better?
- 3.3 Are upright freezers or American fridges better?
- 3.4 What are the different parts of an upright freezer?
- 3.5 What other elements are found in an upright freezer?
- 3.6 How can I optimise my upright freezer?
- 3.7 What freezing technology do upright freezers use?
- 3.8 What are the advantages and disadvantages of upright freezers?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
First things first
- Upright freezers are appliances designed to store the frozen foods you buy. You can also freeze other foods, either cooked or raw.
- There are two main sizes of upright freezers available on the market. The under the counter size which are the same size as refrigerators, or the upright tall freezer.
- These appliances offer different ways and capacities to store frozen food. This is why you should know their most important features.
- On the UK market, the price range of these devices is very wide. Make sure to analyse all their characteristics if you want to make the best possible purchase.
The best Upright Freezers on the UK market
In this section, we will present the best upright freezers that you will find on the market today. Each has its own unique characteristics. Therefore we will cover each product’s features in detail so you can get to know them. This will help you to make the best decision.
- White Knight F170H Upright Tall Freezer 159 Litres
- Russell Hobbs RHUCFZ3W White Under Counter
- IceKing 48cm Under Counter Freezer
- Igenix IG355B Freestanding Under Counter Freezer
- Russell Hobbs Freestanding 142cm Tall Freezer
White Knight F170H Upright Tall Freezer 159 Litres
The White Knight freestanding upright freezer has a generous 159 litre (net) capacity and stands 1435mm tall. It is a 4 star freezer offering a freezing capacity of 8kg/24hours. There are 6 ‘ice blue’ transparent drawers, an ice cube tray and a reversible door. There is a matching fridge if you are looking for both items for your home.
It has an A+ energy efficiency and the typical annual energy usage is 217kWh. In the event of a power cut, it offers safe storage time of 16 hours. it also comes with a 2 year parts and labour warranty.
Russell Hobbs RHUCFZ3W White Under Counter
This white Russell Hobbs under counter freezer is perfect if you’re in need of extra cold storage but are tight on space. With its compact size, and modern white design, this under counter freezer can fit neatly under your kitchen counter.
It has an impressive 68 litre capacity and three separate drawers, allowing you to group foods to suit your requirements. It is rated an impressive A+ for energy efficiency, being sure to keep energy bills down whilst adding extra freezer space in your home.
IceKing 48cm Under Counter Freezer
This 62 litre under counter freezer from IceKing has three easy-access freezer compartments for your favourite food items. It’s 48cm wide which is ideal when space is at a minimum and is the perfect addition to your home. It also boasts 4* freezing and has an A+ energy rating saving you energy and money.
It’s easy to use, has an adjustable thermostat and a reversible door. The feet are also adjustable making it perfect for uneven floors. Iceking also has a matching fridge should you require both household appliances.
Igenix IG355B Freestanding Under Counter Freezer
The freestanding under the counter fridge from Igenix is available in black and white with a matching fridge available should you require both items.
It has an 86 litre capacity and a width of 55cm, it is designed to fit under the counter. It has 3 large drawers for plenty of storage, a reversible door and a great energy rating of A+ helping to keep your energy bills down
Russell Hobbs Freestanding 142cm Tall Freezer
This tall Russell Hobbs freezer is plain black and comes with highly practical features. The door is reversible with the handle situated towards the top of the appliance. It has an impressive 157 litre total freezing capacity, offering you enough space for a full weeks’ worth of food and more.
The storage space consists of 3 freezer drawers and 2 flaps all of which are see through for convenience. It has an energy rating of A+ and energy consumption of 213kwh/year. The noise level in indicated as 42dB. It has an adjustable thermostat and is easily moveable with 2 adjustable feet for uneven floors and 2 castors.
Shopping Guide: Everything you need to know about upright freezers
Upright freezers come with a wide range of interesting characteristics that you’ll want to know about. This will help you understand the differences between different models available out there. In the next section, we’ll go into some of those key aspects. Once you’ve got them down, you’ll be able to make an informed purchasing decision.
What are upright freezers and how do they work?
A freezer is generally purchased to complement a refrigerator and are most frequently used by families that want or need to store larger quantities of food at home.
Are upright or chest freezers better?
- Chest freezer:The main difference is that you access the food from the top. They offer a large storage capacity, but it might be difficult to reach products placed at the bottom. One advantage is that you can freeze large foods. It consumes less energy than upright freezers.
- Upright freezer:You’ll access your food more easily. The larger models offer the same space as chest freezers. Note that they are generally more expensive. They take up less space and can be placed in the kitchen.
Are upright freezers or American fridges better?
American fridges also have a double-door access so as well as taking into account the size of the actual product, you will also need to take into consideration its location within your kitchen, the advantage of the upright freezers is that they can be placed elsewhere in the kitchen, or even in other rooms. Most kitchens are in new houses these days are designed to house standard refrigerators.
What are the different parts of an upright freezer?
|Compressor||It’s designed to increase the gas pressure from the evaporator, and then compress it. The compressor then turns it back to a liquid state so it can circulate through the freezer.|
|Expansion valve||Its role is to bring enough refrigerant to the evaporator depending on its needs. It needs to reduce the pressure and temperature of the liquid to achieve this.|
|Coils||The refrigerant liquid circulates through these coiled capillary tubes. They are used as the link between the compressor and the expansion valve.|
|Thermostat||This elements is in charge of maintaining the right temperature in the freezer. Once the temperature is suitable, the thermostat and the refrigerant path stop until the temperature rises again.|
|Refrigerant||It is used to cool the freezer. Two liquids are used: Freon and ammonia. Both of these substances are very dangerous, and you should never directly handle them.|
What other elements are found in an upright freezer?
|Internal light||This part is essential for you to see the contents of your freezer.|
|Drain||Its main role is to eliminate water when you defrost the appliance.|
|Alarm||It warns you if you leave the door open or if the light dies.|
|Controls||They are designed to manage the different functions of your appliance.|
How can I optimise my upright freezer?
- Temperature:Try to keep your freezer’s temperature around -18°C. This will give you a better performance and a lower energy consumption.
- Position:Leave a small space between your freezer and the wall to avoid blocking the ventilation slits. Keep your upright freezer away from any heat source.
- Energy:Do not keep the door open too long or you will lose heat and energy.
- Maintenance:Never place hot food in your freezer, and avoid overfilling it. Defrost your freezer regularly when the ice layer is greater than 3 millimetres.
What freezing technology do upright freezers use?
- No frost:This is when no frost or ice is created inside the freezer. Its main advantage is that you never have to defrost your appliance.
- Low frost:In this case, the ice forms a thin layer of frost in the freezer. It is still easy to clean.
- Static:This is the most traditional technology. Small pieces of ice form on the walls of the appliance. You’ll need to defrost it before cleaning.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of upright freezers?
Below we have created a shopping guide which we consider are the most important aspects that you’ll have to consider when buying your upright freezer. These shopping criteria will undoubtedly help you choose the model that best fits your needs. These factors are the following:
This could potentially be the most important criterion for you. As we mentioned earlier, you can find two types of upright freezers. Some models are designed to be placed under the countertop and measure around 80 centimetres in height. The other models measure approximately 180 centimetres, a size similar to that of standard fridges.
When considering storage space, the second option is clearly the more advantageous one. These styles are great for families and storing large amounts of food, so if space is not an issue, we would certainly encourage you to purchase this model, keep in mind though where you might place it in your kitchen, where it can be accessed easily.
The energy consumption of your freezer is another key aspect. Simply remember that a freezer cannot stop working like other types of appliances. Their energy ratings range between A+ and A+++, with the most efficient ones having a A+++ classification. Opt for this option and you’ll be saving on your electricity bills.
We’ve already talked about the three different types of freezing technologies. In that regard, you are encouraged to go for no frost models, as you won’t have any ice building up inside your upright freezer. This will prevent you from having to defrost it, making it much easier to clean. Keep this in mind when you purchase your appliance.
Reversible doors are particularly useful features for your upright freezer. They will allow you to place the appliance anywhere you like in the kitchen. If you eventually decide to change its location, you won’t have any problem doing so. You might regret it later on if you don’t buy a model with a reversible door.
Also called undercooling, this system allows the food to freeze quickly. Freezers with this feature are much more efficient than those who don’t. It is particularly useful to better preserve the properties of the frozen food. That way, it will lose fewer nutrients, such as vitamins or minerals. This is definitely an interesting function to have.
Upright freezers give you extra storage space, whether you buy frozen food or want to freeze food you’ve prepared. Remember that the size is a key criteria to consider when making your purchase: it needs to be right for your family. You should also evaluate its energy consumption to avoid overspending.
The freezing technique of your model is another aspect you shouldn’t overlook. As you know, no frost is the most efficient, as it prevents ice from forming and makes it easier for you to clean the freezer. Quick freezing technology is also very useful to better preserve the food’s nutrients. Finally, you should always try to get the best value for money possible.
Did you find our shopping guide on upright freezers interesting? If so, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below, and share our article on your social media.
(Source of featured image: Loganban: 33455170/ 123rf.com)