Organising your home can be a daunting task, especially if you’re busy with work or family, or if your home is small and doesn’t have much storage space. What’s more, if you’re a lover of shoes and have lots of them, you may be well-used to that pile of shoes in the cupboard or next to the front door and that rush to find the missing shoe on your way when you’re already running late to work. Trust me, we’ve been there!
Does this sound like you? Well you may be in need of shoe rack! These fancy pieces of furniture organise your shoes in a simple and decorative way. Also called shoe organisers, they truly make your life easier. They are absolutely essential when you’re running out of space but still want to buy simply can’t stop adding to your footwear collection. We’ve created this guide to help you find the shoe rack that you need in your life.
- 1 First things first:
- 2 Ranking: The best shoe racks in the UK
- 2.1 No. 1: Sable 10-Tier Shoe Rack (175cm x 100cm x 27cm)
- 2.2 No. 2: Knight 3-Tier Metal Shoe Rack (90cm x 29.5cm x 53cm)
- 2.3 No. 3: SONGMICS 5-Tier Shoe Rack (88cm x 28cm x 91cm)
- 2.4 No. 4: Premier Housewares 2-Tier Extendable Shoe Rack (35.5cm x 62-113cm x 22cm)
- 2.5 No. 5: SONGMICS 16-cubes DIY Plastic Shoe Rack (113cm x 36cm x 113cm)
- 3 Buying Guide: Everything you need to know about shoe racks
- 4 Buying Criteria
- 5 Summary
First things first:
- Shoe racks are a foolproof way to store and organise all your footwear in an orderly fashion, regardless of how much or how little space you have at home.
- These pieces of furniture have become increasingly popular, since many people nowadays live in small flats in the city. You can therefore find a wide variety of models in the market, with different materials and shapes.
- There is a wide range of shoe rack styles, each one tailored to the available space and featuring classic or truly innovative designs. It is crucial that you analyse where you will place your shoe organiser and the size of the space available before buying one, so you can find a shoe rack with the perfect shape and dimensions.
Ranking: The best shoe racks in the UK
The market offers an incredible number of different shoe racks for all your shoes, sandals and the boots. The one you need is amongst them, and we’ve designed the following section to introduce you to the very best models available. Our selection features quality products with great value for money, so don’t miss out!
No. 1: Sable 10-Tier Shoe Rack (175cm x 100cm x 27cm)
This stylish shoe rack holds up to 50 pairs of shoes, so it’s perfect for families or those shoe aficionados out there. This easy-to-assemble rack has iron pipes that snap together, so there’s no need for additional tools for its assembly. Additionally, it has non-woven waterproof fabric tiers made from high-quality fibres, so they’re easy to clean and don’t let water through, what more could you want?
This shoe rack also assembles and splits in a variety of ways, so you can choose to have a 10-tier rack in one room, or two, 5-tier racks, wonderful for if you want a shoe rack in two parts of the house. Finally, it comes with spare parts so you know that this wonderful shoe rack will last a long time – perfect!
No. 2: Knight 3-Tier Metal Shoe Rack (90cm x 29.5cm x 53cm)
This heavy duty metal shoe rack comes in three sizes, 3-tier, 5-tier and 7-tier, so you’re sure to find one which is the suitable size for you. The simple assembly of units which simply snap together means you can get organising your shoes in no time. The material used is lightweight yet durable, so you don’t have to worry about having difficulties moving it if you decide to change its location.
The fact that this shoe rack is open is perfect for keeping the shoes well-ventilated so there’s no nasty odours around. The open design also means that you can see all of the shoes all of the time, so say goodbye to spending ages looking for that perfect pair of shoes on your way out of the house!
No. 3: SONGMICS 5-Tier Shoe Rack (88cm x 28cm x 91cm)
Amazon’s Choice for shoe racks, this SONGMICS shoe organiser has space for 15 pairs of shoes. Its sleek, black design means that it will fit seamlessly into any part of any home. The high-quality, anti-rust material used means that wet shoes are no problem, and the durable parts are made for easy assembly.
The DIY design means that you can use the rack as one large rack or two smaller ones, offering you lots of flexibility and options. The water resistant material is easy to clean and the thick tubes are extra strong to ensure high-quality. There’s no reason why this shoe rack wouldn’t be perfect for you!
No. 4: Premier Housewares 2-Tier Extendable Shoe Rack (35.5cm x 62-113cm x 22cm)
This 2-tier rack by Premier Housewares has hundreds of five-star reviews on Amazon. Perfect for those who live alone or who don’t have a large shoe collection, this rack holds between 8 to 12 pairs of shoes, depending on if you have it extended or not.
Additionally, the sturdy metal design with a chrome finish is wonderful for those who like classic, traditional and practical looks and who want it to match with everything. What’s more, each tier is slightly angled, giving you a great view of each pair of shoes so you can see with ease which pair of shoes will match your outfit best.
No. 5: SONGMICS 16-cubes DIY Plastic Shoe Rack (113cm x 36cm x 113cm)
Another great shoe rack by SONGMICS, this is a definite contender for the perfect all-round shoe rack for your home. This handy design features 16 cubes which you can fit together in any way you want – perfect for those who like changing up their home decor every once in a while!
Made of high-quality plastic and iron wire, these cubes are super long-lasting and look amazing. Each cube measures 22cm x 35cm x 22cm, so they’re great for storing shoes of any kind, be it knee-high boots or flip-flops! What’s more, they’re easy to put together with the hammer which is included and they’re waterproof, moisture-proof, anti-mildew and anti-dust – smashing!
Buying Guide: Everything you need to know about shoe racks
The smaller houses that we live in these days mean that the demand for shoe racks is on the rise, since shoe racks are the the essential tool to effortlessly organise our footwear in a practical way. These products are generally available in fabric, plastic, metal or even wood. In the following section, we tackle the most frequently asked questions by past users to help you buy the right shoe rack for you.
What exactly is a shoe rack?
Also called shoe organisers, they are side furniture designed to store shoes. With the arrival of online shopping, an incredible range of innovative shoe racks have flooded the market. Originally made of wood, they are now also made from fabric, metal or plastic. They can be hanging, modular or feature alternative systems to best keep and organise your favourite shoes.
Nowadays, shoe racks truly come in all shapes and sizes: certain models are designed to fit under your bed, others are shelves, while some are made from fabric and hung behind a door or inside a wardrobe. You’ll always find the right model to fit your space and needs.
What are other names used to describe shoe racks?
As we mentioned earlier, they are sometimes called shoe organisers, but their function remains the same: storing and organising footwear. While shoe rack is the most frequently used term, this type of furniture is sometimes also referred to as shoe cabinet or shoe cupboard furniture.
What are the advantages of having a shoe rack?
Remember the days when you used to store all your footwear at the bottom of your wardrobe or just throw them under your bed? Well, not anymore! You now have access to a wide array of striking alternatives, at much more affordable prices than the hard, wooden shoe racks that used to be our only option. There are loads of advantages of having a shoe rack in your home, and we’ve highlighted the main ones below:
- Everything is nice and tidy: Having an untidy house is known to cause stress. A shoe rack will help you know exactly where your favourite footwear is at all times, and give a more orderly appearance to your home, something we’re sure you’ll appreciate.
- You’re making full use of the space in your home: Shoe racks are the ideal furniture to make the most of your space if you have a small home. You can easily slide your shoe organiser under your bed, hang it behind a door, or finally find use for that little tiny bit of space by your front door that’s too small for any cabinet.
- Your home has a stylish new addition: If you know how to play with space and colours, a well-designed shoe rack can become an integral part of your home decor. You won’t have to invest a lot and your room will look as fancy as ever.
- Your shoes are kept in tip-top condition: The best way to keep your favourites shoes in ideal condition is by putting them on a rack. This way, they’re kept away from dust and they’re not squashed underneath a pile of other shoes. This also leads to an increased durability of your shoes, as opposed to leaving them scattered all over the place.
- You can put it wherever you want: The best thing is that you can set your shoe rack anywhere you want. Simply choose the right model for the room intended, be it balcony, bedroom or even bathroom!
- Your shoes are always to hand: Another great advantage of this type of furniture is that you won’t spend more than a second finding the right pair of shoes for any occasion. We bet you’ll thank us when you stop running after a stranded shoe.
- Shoe racks are low-maintenance: Whether it’s made from plastic, wood, metal or fabric, your shoe rack will be easy to clean. All you’ll have to do is wipe it with a damp cloth from time to time, and it’ll be kept in optimal condition.
What types of shoe racks are out there?
As you notice from our selection of products above, the wide range of models available means that picking the right shoe rack is no easy feat. You’ll have to consider a number of different factors, which include your available space and the number of pair of shoes you own. We’ve summed up some of the main types of shoe organisers in the table below, as well as their main characteristics.
|Type of shoe rack||Main characteristics|
|Plastic for wardrobes and shelves||One of the most common models out there, the great advantage of this type is that they are adjustable to the size of footwear you want to store.|
|Fabric||Another frequently available type, it is ideal to decorate a room without visitors knowing that it is a shoe rack. These products are decorative, affordable and highly functional.|
|Hanging fabric||These models are extremely practical, as you can hang them inside your wardrobe or behind a door. This affordable option is ideal if you have little space available.|
|Modular design in stackable boxes||The number one advantage of this type of shoe rack is that you can adapt it to fit exactly in the space you have, both vertically and horizontally. This affordable option can also be decorative.|
|Stackable boxes||This type of shoe organiser is perfect to slide under your bed, or even to place on top of of your wardrobe so that it doesn’t look out of place. These models are affordable and very versatile.|
|Wooden side furniture||These are the most traditional shoe racks, coming in the shape of wooden shelves, benches or wardrobes.|
|Metal or plastic shelves||Like the previous models, they are classic shoe racks and come in different shapes and sizes, but they are made from more affordable materials.|
|Rotating shoe rack||Featuring the design of a coat hanger, several pieces are placed along a rotating pole, on which you can place your footwear. Their design is truly original and can be manufactured from wood or several other materials. They usually offer little storing capacity.|
|Folding||These shoe racks are placed in drawers and wardrobes. They are designed to place your shoes vertically and are perfect for small bedrooms. They tend to be integrated in wooden furniture.|
What should I do before storing my shoes in my shoe rack?
There are a number of steps that will help you keep your shoes in ideal condition before storing them in your shoe rack. Shoes tend to get a pleasant smell after a while, so you must take some hygienic measures before storing them away. Here’s a quick list of tips to avoid these undesirable odours:
- Air the shoes: Whether you opt for a classic wooden shoe rack or a more modern design made from metal or plastic, you are encouraged to leave your footwear airing for a few hours before storing them. Leave them outside and avoid putting them in the sun.
- Disinfect them: Specific powder or aerosol products are available for this. A quick trick is to leave lavender leaves in the shoe rack if it is a closed one.
- Keep the shoe rack well-ventilated: The majority of modern shoe racks have holes to allow ventilation. Otherwise, you can make your own holes in the storage unit.
- Remove insoles: It is recommended to remove the insoles of your sports shoes and wash them before storing the shoes Once the insoles have dried, leave them aside until you next need them.
- Prevent moisture getting into the shoes: Placing newspaper inside your shoes will absorb the moisture. This is an ideal technique if you plan on keeping shoes in an enclosed space for a long period of time.
- Clean the rack regularly: You should clean your shoe rack at least once a week if it is hanging and made from fabric. A regular wipe with a damp cloth will be enough if it is made from other materials. Using disinfectant will prevent the spreading of bacteria or other harmful organisms.
How should I organise my footwear?
Once you’ve acquired the right shoe rack for your home, it is important that you organise your shoes in a way that will make it easier for you to find the right footwear any time you want. There are many ways to do this:
- Frequency of use of the shoe
- The season
- By colour
Mobile apps can also use geolocation to help you find your shoes right away.
There are a certain number of key criteria that you’ll need to consider if you want to buy the shoe rack that’s just right for your home and needs. These aspects include colour, sizes and dimensions, and will help you buy a product that is in line with your home decor. The following are factors that we’ll discuss in the next section:
- Available space
- Reviews and ratings
The very first thing you should evaluate is the exact spot where you’ll set your new shoe rack. People who use this type of furniture tend to have little available space, but the great news is that you can find the right model for your bedroom, bathroom, living room or even garage. The design will naturally be influenced by the room for which the shoe rack is intended.
You may want to opt for a coloured model, for instance, for your children’s bedroom, while more elegant shoe racks will be ideal in your living room. If you love slipping slippers on as soon as you get home, innovative products are available for your hall. You can truly find any shoe rack you want, since the market offers such a wide variety of products.
The available space you have for your new shoe organiser is naturally another key aspect. You may want to opt for a model that perfectly matches your bedroom, but it may already be full of furniture with almost no available space. In that case, we recommend you buy a shoe rack that can be placed behind the door or that fits in empty corners.
The size of your shoe rack is another factor that you cannot overlook. Take into consideration the available space you have, and measure its height, length and width. If you don’t do this, you may well end up with a model that’s a few centimetres too big and you’ll have to return it.
How many pairs of shoes will you need to store? Will you opt for a single shoe rack for all your footwear, or several smaller ones that you can place in different rooms? Make sure to count all the boots, sandals, slippers and other sports shoes you want to store away; this is essential if you want to by a model that easily fits all your current and future footwear.
As we mentioned earlier, the price of a shoe rack is directly influenced by its manufacturing material, which is the penultimate criterion of our guide. You may simply want a temporary shoe organiser for your child’s student flat. Or, if you’re looking for something more permanent, we strongly encourage you to opt for a quality and resistant product that is made from metal, wood or plastic. This is especially important if you plan on keeping it for years to come.
Reviews and ratings
The customer ratings are a great way to have a better idea about a product. We also encourage you to read their comments, as these may sometimes include technical aspects that are useful to you, especially if you are looking for a very specific model. This aspect can be a game changer if you use it to your advantage.
Shoe racks are the ultimate furniture to organise and store all your favourite footwear. The market offers such a wide range of models that it can sometimes be hard to find the right product. However, the great news is that online shopping has opened up access to all the information you need, and this is how you’ll be able to buy the shoe organiser most suitable to your needs in a jiffy.
Make sure you take into account the criteria we detailed above during your purchase. Where you’ll place your shoe rack, how many shoes you want to store or the available space in your room are key factors, as is the budget you’re willing to dedicate to this piece of furniture. We hope that our guide was helpful to you and that you find the perfect shoe rack that will be a stylish and welcome addition to your home.
If you liked our article, feel free to share it on your social media. You can also leave us a comment in the section below with any question or suggestion you might have!
(Source of featured image: Belchonock: 99533134/ 123rf.com)