How we pick our products
If you love outdoor sports and activities, excursions or camping, a cagoule should be an essential part of your wardrobe. However, choosing the most appropriate model isn’t necessarily an easy task: weather conditions, as well as other factors, will influence your purchase. But beware: not all cagoules really serve their function of protecting you from the wind.
This is why we’ve designed this ultimate guide to cagoules, so that you can learn all there is to know about them and you can choose the best, highest quality one which suits your price range. We’ve got a ranking of the best cagoules on the British market, and we’ve designed a listed of buying criteria that we recommend you to consider before you make your purchase. We know that by the time you’ve finished reading this guide, you’ll be happy in the knowledge that you can make a perfect purchase.
- 1 First things first
- 2 The best cagoules in the UK
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you need to know about men’s cagoules
- 3.1 What exactly is a cagoule?
- 3.2 How do cagoules work?
- 3.3 What are the main features of cagoules?
- 3.4 Is a cagoule the same as a coat?
- 3.5 Why should I choose a cagoule with flexible fabric?
- 3.6 Should my cagoule be waterproof?
- 3.7 What kinds of men’s cagoules are out there?
- 3.8 Why should I buy a cagoule?
- 3.9 What are the pros and cons of cagoules?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
First things first
- Men’s cagoules are clothes designed for use in adverse weather conditions. Cagoules are perfect for harsh weather conditions and they keep you protected during your trip.
- You may have to wear your cagoule all day if the weather is often bad – even more reason to think carefully about which characteristics you want and which cagoule will be perfect for you.
- The material of the cagoule is of utmost importance, you need one which is made from good quality materials if you want it to be durable, serve its purpose and to last a long time.
The best cagoules in the UK
We’ve had a look at the cagoules on the market, analysed prices and customer reviews, and come up with this comprehensive list of the best in the UK. You can see each of our favourite cagoules in this selection below, alongside a little description of each product. We’re certain that by the end of this ranking and this guide, you will have chosen the perfect cagoule for you!
- Regatta Stormbreak Jacket
- G5 Apparel Lightweight Unisex Cagoule
- Trespass Quikpac Waterproof Jacket for Men & Women
- Mountain Warehouse Pakka Men’s Waterproof Packable Jacket
- Regatta Packaway Men’s Leisurewear Jacket
Regatta Stormbreak Jacket
First up we have this fab jacket from Regatta. Everyone knows this brand, it’s a household name and one of the best in the business for outdoor wear, so you know you’re getting a good quality product from a well-loved brand when you buy this. This is Amazon’s Choice for men’s cagoules and comes in three colours: black, dark olive and navy, so you know that you’ll be able to find the perfect colour for you.
This cagoule is made from waterproof Hydrafort 5000 polyester fabric, and every stitch and fibre uses the latest technology to ensure that the jacket is waterproof, windproof, breathable, moisture-wicking, flexible and stretchy. What more could you want? Well, there is more! You can easily fold and pack this jacket away in your bag!
G5 Apparel Lightweight Unisex Cagoule
The number one bestseller for men’s outerwear on Amazon, this lightweight cagoule comes in every colour under the sun! Well, not every colour, but it comes in nine fab colours so you’re guaranteed to find your favourite colour in that bunch! It also comes in sizes from small to extra extra large, so this jacket will truly suit everyone.
With hundreds of five-star reviews, you know that you’re getting your money’s worth for this jacket – especially since it’s one of the cheapest on the market! What’s more, it has a waist drawstring, a hood and two front pockets so it’s perfect and very practical.
Trespass Quikpac Waterproof Jacket for Men & Women
Trespass is another household name and bestselling brand for outerwear and for people who love the ourdoors. This jacket is lightweight and can easily be packed into a bag. It is designed with Tres-Tex fabric, meaning that it will give up to 500cm of waterproof protection, which is a lot more than most cagoules can offer!
The seams are taped so no water can get in, and the material used is of breathable fabric so you won’t find yourself getting sticky with sweat. Windproof too, this jacket offers everything, is of very high quality and comes in many different bright colours, and the zips are always a different colour so these jackets are very stylish!
Mountain Warehouse Pakka Men’s Waterproof Packable Jacket
Mountain Warehouse has been supplying the very best outdoor gear for all the family since 1997 and they are committed to supplying their very own high-quality products and great prices. This Pakka jacket is on the lower end of the price scale, but not to worry because you know that Mountain Warehouse has a reputation for providing quality products at low prices.
This jacket is waterproof and has IsoDry fabric which allows perspiration out but keeps you dry. Additionally, it has taped seams, side pockets, a pack away hood, it’s very own packway bag to keep all your bits and bobs, and has reflective piping to keep you safe in the dark – what more could you want?
Regatta Packaway Men’s Leisurewear Jacket
Last but certainly not least, we have another jacket by everyone’s favourite brand, Regatta. This cagoule can not only be used to walking, running, hiking, you name it, but can also be used as a leisure jacket for those who like styling themselves in activewear. This jazzy jacket comes in lots of colours and has lots of great reviews on Amazon.
What’s more it is waterproof since it is made of Isolite 5000 lightweight polyamide fabric. It is also breathable and has a mesh stuff sack so you won’t have to worry about not being able to carry thigs around as everything will fit in there! This truly is the perfect cagoule for any occasion.
Shopping Guide: Everything you need to know about men’s cagoules
There are a number of key aspects that you need to know regarding men’s cagoules before making your purchase. In the next section, we have considered the most important factors and explained them for you, so you can be well informed when you make your purchase. Additionally, we’ve answered the most frequently asked questions that cagoule users have. Let’s get started!
What exactly is a cagoule?
How do cagoules work?
The majority of men’s cagoules – in particular, those for running – have two main functions. Firstly, they protect you from the wind and rain and secondly they have an inner layer which helps your body to control sweat and humidity so you don’t get too hot and sweaty underneath your jacket.
What are the main features of cagoules?
- Lightweight: One of the main advantages of cagoules is that they are extremely light and you’ll barely feel yours while wearing it. The materials they are made from offer greater comfort and flexibility than traditional raincoats.
- Comfortable: You can easily take your cagoule off and carry it in a single hand while finishing up your exercise if you’re tired of wearing it or don’t need it anymore. They’re even so light and flexible that you can tie it around your waist if you need to.
- There are many types and designs available: More and more men are wearing this type of jacket, and there is a wide range of models on the market. Sleeveless cagoules, for instance, are perfect if you decide to run on a sunny but cold day.
- They can be used for many things: The reality is that you can use your cagoule for just about anything. They’re designed for sports but you can wear it anytime, even for a quick trip to the shops or to take your dog for a walk!
Is a cagoule the same as a coat?
They are not coats, either. These garments tend to be very thin and their heat retention capabilities are nothing like that of thermal clothing.
Why should I choose a cagoule with flexible fabric?
Waterproof models are ideal for any outdoor activity off the beaten tracks. Whether you’re climbing mountains, crossing rivers or walking challenging paths, wearing a cagoule can help you in the toughest of conditions. This garment will protect you from winter weather and avoid hypothermia.
Should my cagoule be waterproof?
What kinds of men’s cagoules are out there?
Let’s now have a look at the two main types of cagoules based on running – the sport that most people use them for:
- Running cagoules: As their name indicates, these models are specifically designed for running. You can also use them to practice many other sports like basketball, football, tennis – you name it! Any sport which requires you to run and which tends to be outdoors is a sport that you can use a cagoule for. Bear in mind though that they’re not suitable for long periods of time in heavy rain, which is why we recommend that you only wear them for around two hours.
- Trail cagoules: When you go running or walking on trails, the paths tend to be uneven and unpaved. Cagoules are perfect for this activity as they’re a nice, lightweight version of heavy hiking coats.
Why should I buy a cagoule?
- They improve training performance: When you’re training, you should stay completely dry and avoid getting too sweaty or too wet from the rain. The temperature changes you could suffer if you don’t wear the correct clothing when you’re training could cause you to suffer from hypothermia. Cagoules are lightweight, waterproof garments that will keep you dry and warm. Their tight fit also contributes to maximising your physical performance.
- They are durable: Men’s cagoules are a great investment. If you take good care of yours, you won’t need to buy another one for a long time. Most models last around four years.
- They can be used as informal clothing: On the market, you’ll find certain models that can hide their true function and look like very nice, casual jackets. These close-fitting clothes come in dark or bright colours and can be a true fashion statement.
What are the pros and cons of cagoules?
There are a number of key aspects that you’ll have to take into account when buying your own cagoule. In the following section, we discuss the most relevant criteria that you need to know for your purchase. This will allow you to make the right decision by buying the model that is most tailored to your needs.
Quality is probably the most important aspect if you want your cagoule to be both functional and durable. You could save a little on your initial investment, but opting for a poor quality model will end up costing you more in the long run as you’ll have to get a new one in no time. This is the reason why we encourage you to choose quality over price – if you can find a cheap one that’s of good quality, perfect! But most of the time, cheaper things = poorer quality, so be careful.
View this post on Instagram
‘The speed rope that changed cardio forever?’. Type ‘YES’ if you agree!👇🏽☺️ I’ll be sending out a couple of signed ropes to those who show their support! The story of this rope & it’s relationship with R.A runs deep. Forever grateful to have thousands across the world repping it!🙏🏽💛🖤 ⠀ -Rope: The Iconic Money Rope by Rush Athletics. -R.A Active Windbreaker (Size M). Limited Stock available online 📸 @nj.visions ⠀ #theyrunwefly #MoneyRope #thejumpropecoach #rushathletics #jumprope #legacyrope #techrope ⠀ ➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖ THE HOME OF JUMP ROPE FITNESS & LIFESTYLE!🌍 ⠀ www.rushathletics.co.uk Use INSTA10 for 10% OFF 🎁 Available on most major Amazon sites Worldwide Delivery 📦 ✈️ ➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖ ⠀ #londonphotography #boxing #skipping #jumpropeswag #londonfitfam #fitnesswntrepreneur #skippingrope #skiprope #indian #cordeasauter #saltarlacuerda #boxinglife #mayweather #londonfashion #fitness #pulandocorda #entrepreneur #jumpingrope #jumpropes #springseil #jumpropefitness #windbreaker
Polyester is the primary material with which most cagoules are made. They are generally reinforced with polyamide to increase tear resistance. The resistance and durability of your cagoule is essential, which is why you should pay a lot of attention to the material of your cagoule. Certain cagoules also include elastane or other fabrics, which will provide greater flexibility and fitting. This type of cagoule is ideal for those who value comfort over everything else. Other materials similar to polyester also provide extra flexibility.
Something you should definitely consider is what your cagoule looks like. There are two main ones for this type of product: first of all, tight-fitting models won’t be lifted by the wind and will shelter you a bit more. Wide-cut models, on the other hand, can be put on or taken off while leaving your backpack underneath. Make sure to choose the style that most fits your needs and the use you’ll make of it.
It is also essential for the cagoule you buy to include at least a hood and pocket within which you can store the garment itself. It will then take up very little space and can easily be put on or taken off.
View this post on Instagram
#europe #switzerland #zermatt #alps #matterhorn #wildlife #mountains #nofilter #nofilterneeded #oakley #sun #travel #thenorthface #instatravel #traveller #travelgood #getoutside #photooftheday #potd #nature #naturephotography #followmefaraway #beautifuldestinations #hiking #takemethere #roundtheworld #landscape #shotoniphone #explore #makemoments @nikondeutschland @apple @travador @wildernessnation @world_wildlife @zermatt.matterhorn @gornergrat @oakley @fjallravenofficial @thenorthface
Whether you opt for a tight-fitting or a wide cut cagoule, think about the finishing touches that could make your cagoule stand out from the rest. Look at things like elastic closures on the waist and cuffs, adjustable hoods, visors to prevent rain from falling on your face, chin collars to cover the mouth or pockets.
The final decision – whether to buy a cagoule or not – will always be yours. That being said, many experts point out that this piece of clothing is perfect to throw on when you practice most types of sports, so the cold or light rain are no longer valid excuses! A cagoule will help you spend more time outdoors, so naturally, you’ll lead a more active life if you have one.
Cagoules are essential for all men who want to exercise in the rain or cold. If you’re really dedicated to your sport, you won’t let the weather stop you, so you should definitely invest in a cagoule so that you can stay warm and therefore safe when you practice sports. From now on, nothing will stop you from your training!
If you want to be able to get outside even when it’s cold or rainy, the best possible decision you can make is buying yourself a cagoule. Now that you don’t have to stay at home all the time, you’ll be able to enjoy what you most like doing all year round. This will also contribute to improving your overall health, so what are you waiting for?
If you found our shopping guide on men’s cagoules interesting, feel free to share it on your social media. You can also leave us a comment in the section below!
(Source of featured image: maridav: 35379723/ 123rf.com)